DEI at WXXI
Our commitment to diversity and inclusivity across our entire organization.
WXXI, the Little Theatre and CITY News are anti-racist organizations, dedicated to the principles of Diversity, Equity, Inclusion and Belonging.
To achieve this, we established a DEI Council that includes staff, board members and volunteers. The Council oversees the development of our organizations as community leaders on issues of racial equity. Council “Change Teams” will ensure a DEI focus in the areas of Capacity, Content, Engagement and Structural Inequality.
We commit clearly and definitively to diversity and inclusivity that reflects our antiracist objectives in our staff and leadership, content development, and community engagement. We will affirm and amplify diverse voices and stories. We will do the hard work of looking inside and outside of our organizations.
Want to learn more about our work?
Watch a presentation WXXI hosted at America’s Public Television Station’s (APTS) Public Media Summit. Our Chief Human Resources Officer Tashanda Thomas and DEI Council Co-Chair Ajamu Kitwana joined WXXI President & CEO Norm Silverstein in talking about the council and our goal.
DIVERSITY, EQUITY & INCLUSION COUNCIL CHARGE
The WXXI Little CITY Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Council is charged with overseeing the development of the organization as a leader in the community on issues of racial equity.
Council Leadership: The Council will be co-chaired by a member of the Board and a member of the staff, supported by the Chair of the Board and the President & CEO.
Council Members: The Council will include members of the WXXI, Little and CITY Staff, WXXI/LTFS Board of Trustees, Trustee Council and Community Advisory Board.
Using a Change Team model, the effort will develop and track actions in the following areas:
Capacity (Attract and retain diverse talent across the organization):
- Staff Development
- Board Development
- Policy Review
Content (Create relevant content that furthers our goal of being an anti-racist organization):
- Major Initiative focused on race
- Diversifying programming initiatives
Engagement (Foster deeper engagement and trust with our community):
- Deepen commitment to diverse audiences
Structural Inequality (Assessing the diversity of who we do business with):
- Audit vendors and external contractors
DIVERSITY, EQUITY & INCLUSION COUNCIL
DEI Council Co-Chairs
- Ajamu Kitwana, Board of Trustees
- Tashanda Thomas, WXXI Director of Human Resources
WXXI/LTFS Board of Trustees
- Robert Healy, Chair WXXI Board of Trustees
- Norm Silverstein, WXXI President & CEO
- Sonya Allen, Trustee
- Andre Lindsay, Trustee
- Sandeep Mannava, MD, Trustee
- John Richardson, Trustee
WXXI/LTFS Trustee Council
- Fabricio Morales
- Barbara Pierce
WXXI Community Advisory Board
- Miriam Zinter
WXXI, Little and CITY Staff
- Bryan Agnello, Senior Broadcast Engineer
- Julia Figueras, Classical Music Director
- Shelley Figueroa, Coordinator, Education & Outreach
- Kevin Indovino, Producer/ Director/ Editor
- Mona Isler, Executive Assistant & Staff Liaison to the Board
- Teej Jenkins, City 12 Manager
- Miriam Mull, Little Theatre Operations Assistant
- Michelle Picardo, Corporate Sponsorship Account Manager
- Susan Rogers, Executive VP & General Manager
- Jacob Walsh, City Art Designer
- Denise Young, Executive Editor, WXXI News